As stated on the EAGALA website:
This code serves as a standard of ethics and professionalism for all associates of the Equine Assisted Growth and Learning Association and for the field of Equine Assisted Psychotherapy and Learning. The code delineates basic philosophies to guide professional practitioners in the conduct of business and practice. High standards of ethics and professionalism are established to instill confidence in clients, professionals, and their communities. The ethics code is based on the fundamental values of overall safety and well-being of clients, foremost above all other considerations. Ethical decisions and conduct should be consistent in the letter and spirit of the code. Failure to act in accordance with the code may result in loss of association or certification with EAGALA. It is our quest to build the emerging field of Equine Assisted Psychotherapy and Learning as a valid, professional, safe, and respected instrument for growth and learning. It is therefore required that all practitioners maintain the utmost standards of ethics, professionalism, and integrity.
1. The EAGALA associate will provide the highest quality of service and care in supporting and assisting clients in personal growth and learning.
2. The EAGALA associate will respect and honor the value and dignity of all and protect the safety, welfare, and best interests of clients and horses.
3. The EAGALA associate will always consider physical and emotional safety concerns. This includes safety utilizing horses and the maintenance of a safe facility. Therapeutic approaches are to be implemented in a respectful manner, maintaining the privacy and rights of confidentiality of all clients, and never abusing power through sexual or inappropriate relationships with clients.
4. The EAGALA associate will continually evaluate the progress of clients and will promptly refer them to other professional services if and when this is in the best interest of the client.
5. The EAGALA associate will treat other associates and professionals courteously and respect their views, ideas, and opinions.
6. The EAGALA associate will share information, experiences, and ideas that will benefit, strengthen, and improve the effectiveness of Equine Assisted Psychotherapy.
7. The EAGALA associate will regularly evaluate his/her own professional strengths and limitations and will seek to improve self and profession through ongoing education and training.
8. The EAGALA associate will not misrepresent by claiming or implying professional qualifications, education, experience, or affiliations not possessed by the associate.
9. The EAGALA associate will follow all state/country laws and guidelines pertaining to the scope of his/her practice and limitations of business.
10. The EAGALA associate will not participate in, condone or be associated with dishonesty, fraud, deceit, illegal activities, or misrepresentation.
11. The EAGALA associate will not engage in personal conduct which adversely affects the quality of professional services rendered or cause harm to the reputation of the profession.
12. The EAGALA associate will maintain the highest standards of professional integrity
EAGALA Code of Ethics